I think I have seen the phrase ‘I’m so triggered by this!!!!!’ on social media lately more than any other, accompanied by a lot of blame and finger-pointing. Completely unhelpful, and useless. Shouting that we are being triggered, doesn’t heal the trauma. Announcing our trauma to the world, without doing any internal work, gains nothing. Doing the deeper work into what is the source of that trigger, as opposed to being ruled by it, is the way to loosen that grip, release that trigger.
I use triggers as a gift, a valuable insight into something unresolved. Then I dig deeper. Therapy, meditation, and a myriad of modalities can deeply help. It doesn’t matter where we start, we just need to start, if we are constantly activated by the world around us.
So this week for our Journaling:
- Where am I being triggered at the moment?
- What am I taking responsibility for and what I am shifting the blame on?
- What could I do to help myself on a deeper level?
- What actions am I taking, what thoughts am I believing that are unhelpful?
- What actions am I taking, what thoughts am I believing that are in fact helpful?
Written with love,